When you are behind the wheel on Louisiana’s roadways, you should always drive safely and free from distractions. However, you cannot control how those around you drive. If you are involved in a car accident, then you should take the following steps to protect yourself and the passengers in your vehicle:
- Photograph/video the accident scene
- Gather all names and contact information of all drivers and passengers
- 3Write down the insurance information of all parties involved in the car accident, and if possible, try and take a picture of the insurance card
- Record the license plate information of all vehicles involved in the auto accident
- Call the Police
- Record the name, badge number, and department of the responding police officer
- Thoroughly explain to the police officer how the accident occurred
- Write down the exact location of the auto accident
- Gather all contact information of any witnesses
- Write down any statements that the other driver might have said: For example, “Sorry, I was distracted”; “I should not have been texting”; “I can’t believe I ran that stop sign”
If you have been injured in a car accident in Louisiana, then let one of our car accident attorneys help you get the compensation that you deserve. You do not have to fight the insurance companies alone. Often times, if an insurance company realizes that you are not represented by an attorney, they will try to “lowball” your claim.
For more information, contact the Louisiana personal injury lawyers at Mansfield, Melancon, Cranmer & Dick LLC. We have a proven track record of success handling many types of Louisiana personal injury cases, including, but not limited to, car accidents, boating accidents, motorcycle accidents, premises liability accidents, and cases involving nursing care facility abuse/neglect. Contact us by calling one of our offices: New Orleans at (504) 500-1108, Baton Rouge at (225) 612-0800, or Lafayette at (337) 409-0003. You can also request a free consultation by using our “Contact Us” page.