Every year, thousands of hard-working Louisiana citizens are injured or killed in fires and explosions. Whether caused by fuel-fed fires, natural gas explosions, industrial plant fires and explosions, electrocution from exposure to defective electrical equipment, or defective home appliances, fire and burn injuries are often severe, debilitating, and life-altering. Whether it happens at your home or workplace, it can be difficult to determine the exact cause of the fire or explosion and to identify the responsible party.
What Should You Do After a Fire or Explosion Related Injury or Death?
The first step after suffering an injury from a fire or explosion is to seek immediate medical attention. Delaying doctor’s visits can have a significant impact on your health and on your case. After addressing your immediate medical needs, contact the attorneys at Mansfield Melancon to assist in the investigation into the causes of the accident.
- Preserve any evidence: With a fire or explosion related injury, the evidence really matters. The attorneys at Mansfield Melancon will work with a team of experts and investigators to collect and preserve critical evidence for your case.
- Identify who is responsible: Complex environments with multiple involved parties can obscure the identity of the person or persons truly responsible. In-plant explosion cases, industrial plant owners may point to third-party contractors, who may blame equipment manufacturers, who point the finger at the engineer or operator. In housefires, the appliance manufacturer may point to the defective electrical wiring, while the electrician may point to the homebuilder. That is why having the aggressive attorneys of Mansfield Melancon on your side matters – to wade through the excuses and finger-pointing and get to the bottom of who is responsible.
- Hire the right experts: In almost all fire and explosion cases, hiring the right experts is important. Some fire accident cases need accident reconstruction experts, while others may require an engineering or building expert to help identify the cause of the fire. Either way, the experts play an important role in obtaining necessary evidence and identifying who is responsible, and experts are an important part of your team. The attorneys at Mansfield Melancon expend considerable resources to employ some of the best industry-specific expert witnesses from around the country, all at no risk to you.
Types of Fire and Explosion Cases
The attorneys at Mansfield Melancon handle all types of fire and explosion cases, including the following:
- Residential and commercial fires
- Plant and refinery explosions
- Rig and offshore explosions
- Pipeline explosions
- Workplace burns or injuries
- Chemical burns
- Smoke inhalation
- Faulty electrical wiring
- Faulty appliances,
- Faulty space heaters and water heaters
- Car crash fires
Injuries in Fire and Explosion Cases
First degree burns affect the skin’s outer layer, while third-degree burns, referred to as “full-thickness burns” affect even the deepest layers of the skin. Even minor burns can leave permanent scarring or disfigurement, while major burns can be life-threatening. Beyond just burns, fires and explosion accidents can cause various other injuries, including the following:
- Concussions or traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Fall from heights
- Eye injuries, including full or partial blindness
- Hearing loss or tinnitus
- Impact injuries
- Poisoning or sickness from toxic fumes or gasses
- Orthopedic injuries, including muscle, joint, or ligament injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Lacerations or abrasions resulting in permanent scarring
- Smoke inhalation or suffocation
- Wrongful death
Hire the Right Attorneys for Your Case
Finding the right law firm for your fire or explosion accident case can be a challenge. Not all law firms are equipped to take on such complex cases, nor do they have the necessary resources at their disposal. When choosing an attorney for your fire or explosion accident and injury case, ask the following questions:
- Do you have experience with fire cases? If they have not yet worked on a case involving a fire injury or death, they may not be the right choice.
- Do you have the financial resources to help me? Fire and explosion cases can be very complex, which means they can get expensive. Does the firm you’re working with have the proper financial resources to be able to take this case all the way through the trial
- Will you be personally handling my case? Deal with your lawyer – not your lawyer’s assistants or employees. Your case is important to you. It should be important enough to your lawyer to handle it himself or herself. At Mansfield Melancon, when you call, you speak with your lawyer. When you e-mail, your lawyer responds. You don’t get treated like a number, and your injury case isn’t just another file – it’s personal to us.
Schedule a Free, No-Obligation Consultation with a Fire Safety & Explosion Injury Lawyer at Mansfield Melancon today!
If you or a loved one has been injured by an explosion or fire, the personal injury attorneys at Mansfield Melancon can help. We are committed to guiding the people whom we represent through the legal process with experience and personal attention.
Our firm also has a strong track record of getting optimal results for our clients.
Our offices are conveniently located in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Call us or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a Louisiana personal injury lawyer. You can reach us at our New Orleans location at 504-500-1108, our Baton Rouge location at 225-612-0800, or our Lafayette location at 337-409-0003.